Old 01-11-20, 05:43 AM   #5402
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default U 11 Type IIB 1940/2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
Started new career in August 2019 to commemorate the beginning of WWII, 80 years ago ...

Left W'haven on Sunday, 26 November 1939 for Third War Patrol in Qu.AN26 (East of Shetlands and Orkneys).

Good weather and seas while in area of operation and during outbound and return voyage.

During outbound transit, shot down one Swordfish airplane and took the pilot prisoner.

Strong enemy air patrols in area of operation. Good weather facilitated in shooting down of 6 more airplanes (2 Swordfish and 4 Vickers Vildebeest), due east of Scapa Flow.

During entering Lerwick naval base for reconnaissance, ran aground in the outer harbour basin and suffered damage to the pressure hull.

Returned to W'haven on Saturday, 9 December 1939, having sunk 2 merchants for 3553 BRT, 1 steamer of 7447 BRT torpedoed, 7 enemy aircraft shot down and 1 pilot taken prisoner.

Torpedo hits: 3
Torpedo failures: 2 Eto understeered and one of them misfired too late.
Crash Dives: 6

One of the two Torpedoman's Mates had to be hospitalized and was replaced by a Diesel Machinist's Mate 2cl. The Control Room Fireman 1cl. was transferred to another Uboat and had to be replaced as well.

Received orders for Fourth War Patrol:
- Patrol area Qu. AN 79 (Mine laying operation)
- Departure scheduled for 11 January 1940...
Started new career in August 2019 to commemorate the beginning of WWII, 80 years ago ...

Left W'haven on Thursday, 11 January 1940 for Fourth War Patrol in Qu.AN 79 (Mine Laying Operation: Contaminate harbour of Dover with TMB).

Good weather and seas while in area of operation and during outbound and return voyage. Very good aircraft visibility.

Medium enemy air patrols but heavy surface vessel patrols in area of operation and during transit.

Successfully laid 9 TMB in entrance to inner harbour basin of Dover. Southampton Class Cruiser and several destroyers in Dover harbour sighted.

Afterwards, sank two steamers with the two remaining Ato.

While on return voyage, had to crash dive from approaching aircraft during morning dawn and hit the ocean floor in shallow waters. Pressure hull slightly damaged but no further damage from the bombs dropped by the airplanes.

Returned to W'haven on Thursday, 18 January 1940, having sunk 2 merchants for 8986 BRT and a successful mine laying operation.

Torpedo hits: 2
Torpedo failures: None

Crash Dives: 1

My Chief Master Boatswain was sent to Officers Training School and was replaced by a Boatswain 1cl.

Received orders for Fifth War Patrol:
- Patrol area Qu. AN 73
- Departure scheduled for 15 February 1940...

Last edited by Kapitän; 01-31-20 at 09:11 AM.
Kapitän is offline   Reply With Quote