View Single Post
Old 01-02-20, 08:09 AM   #4333
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

2nd January 1920

Isaac Asimov is born to a family of Russian Jewish millers in Petrovichi, Russia (his exact day of birth is unknown, but he celebrated his birthday on January 2).

First Red Scare in the United States: The second of the Palmer Raids takes place with another 4,025 suspected communists and anarchists arrested and held without trial in several cities.

The Depression of 1920-21 begins in the United States after the shift from a war economy to peacetime and the demobilization of millions of troops.

Battleship USS Arizona in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Ship Losses:

Ernest T. Lee (United States) The schooner was abandoned in the Atlantic Ocean. Her crew were rescued by Hildebrand ( United Kingdom).
Jemtland (Sweden) The liner struck a mine and sank at Herthas Flak with the loss of seven of her 26 crew.
Nicolaas (Netherlands) The cargo ship struck a mine in the North Sea off the Dogger Bank and sank with some loss of life.
Nipponier (Belgium) The cargo ship foundered in the Bay of Biscay (44°24′N 9°03′W). Her crew were rescued by Rio de Janeiro ( Norway).
Roumanier (Belgium) The cargo ship caught fire whilst ship berthed at Antwerp. Her hull was badly damaged and the ship was laid up. She was scrapped in 1923 at Hamburg, Germany.
Stella II (United Kingdom) The schooner was wrecked on the coast of Africa.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote