View Single Post
Old 12-28-19, 03:06 AM   #290
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
My only comment on this is that I have no clue (as of yet) as how to "fix" the issue. Our resident team expert has retired, and if he comes back, it might get "fixed", but then again, maybe not. I know Stock is wonky on this also. One mod does rather well at "historic" with it, so we might consider learning from them......
Used to have a friend who was a hydrophone operator on an attack cargo ship (AKA). Sitting at anchor, he said he could hear ships passing at about 6,000 yards. The operators manual on the hydrophone on the bottom hull of WW II submarines (JP Listening Gear) says to secure the station, when moving on the surface at normal or fast speeds. Could find no case where enemy ships were ever detected by hydrophones on a WW II submarine, while surfaced, at any speed, at any time. The heads were on JP Listening Gear could be used at close range and slow speed, but long before they could be detected with hydrophone, the enemy ship could be detected visually....

The way the mod currently functions changes the way the game is played to something very gamey and unrealistic. I know you could fix the operating on the surface problem, because you did so with the S boats. Make all boats' hydrophones operate like the S boats and half the range and you will have something akin to reality. Of course, I know that you cannot make the mod to the specifications of one player, so I may just have to mod your mod to suit my game play or more likely, steal your campaign missions and apply them to Real Fleet Boat. Thanks for your response and for listening to my rant.

Quote:
Unfortunately, none of the "exterior" crew is protected when the boat submerges. Since the Damage Team was made big enough to hold the gun crews, and screen real estate ran out, the "Lounge" was inserted there to allow display of the full crew "across" at most resolutions. Mayhaps it would become "Submerged Billet" instead? But there's probably not enough room for that text......
Or, you could move the crew quarters to behind the control room and call it "Crew Quarters".

Quote:
Glad you like that part. More is planned for this arena...
More? Good. Your scenario maker is your team's cleverest fellow.

Quote:
The Narwhal is a "kit-bash", where two subs were cloned and then combined to make the boat (TMO). It does not have 6" guns, is not the proper length, nor does it have a proper bow and deck gun positions, but I doubt if any of that is the cause. We'll look into that hydrophone handle - can't have that. Did you happen to notice your sub's dials? Things like the depth gauge, rpm gauges, etc? If you have a Save from when you know the sonar head wouldn't rotate, if you could load that and see what the rest of the gauges are doing, specifically if they are stuck at 12 O'Clock High? One thing one of the players noted was that even though the head didn't show as rotating, it actually was, and they could then "hear" the target - though finding the heading was more than a pinch difficult......
I have found the Narwhal doesn't really seem to work well in any mod. Noble attempt.

Quote:
What I have found with this game, is that any little thing being "off" with the configuration of anything, and the game might CTD on exit. The more of those little errors there are, the greater the chance of CTD while playing. There are also a couple of planes in the current version that are "off" somewhat, with the Betty being one of them. But nothing shows "off" consistently. It is difficult at best to find some of these issues, and when they are inconsistent, nigh on impossible tofind, much less to "fix"...
Just tried again and in this case, hydrophone handle worked just fine. Game crashed when exiting.

Last edited by Michael Wood; 12-28-19 at 07:58 AM.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote