View Single Post
Old 12-26-19, 12:29 PM   #4942
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

@vienna

You are a true gentleman vienna and modest too, but actually its you who earns the thanks (once again) Sometime after I posted that clip, I thought that vienna most likely is aware of her, and after a quick search I wasn't surprised to find this post from dec 2016. For some reason I myself missed that post at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Wes Montgomery has long been a favorite of mine. I did, however, dislike how the record companies and producers saddled him with unnecessary lush orchestration on his later, more pop, records; there is a recorded stripped down version, without the stings and other additions, of "A Day In The Life" that I heard decades ago that is nothing less than astonishing; I wish I could find it again...

There was an interview Wes Montgomery did where he was asked how he developed his octave style; his response: "I started doing it because no me told me it was wrong..."...

While looking for the "Night Train" TV footage, I came across a series of gems from a live TV show originating in Texas in the 60s, "The !!! Beat"; it is sort of a Blues/R&B version of "Shindig' or "Hullabaloo". YouTube has quite a few of the videos and the range of talent and stars is more than impressive. Here are two of the shows, one featuring the Texas legend (and one of the "Three Kings" along with B.B. and Albert) Freddie King and the other, Barbara Lynn, a little known, outside of the Blues/R&B world, legend in her own right; she plays guitar, left-handed, in the Texas Blues style; if you look up her other videos, it is well worth the effort...

<O>

About Barbara. She really is something. She has a fancy guitar playing style that immediately caught my attention, she's playin with such an ease. Not to mention her undisputable skils.

About Beverly Watkins. She is completely new name to me,. Thanks for sharing info about her. She is worth of being aware, very talented and sympathetic lady.

"To Beverly: though you weren't well-known to many, to the many who did know of you, you were an awesome example of the human spirit and the power of music. Thank you for sharing your gifts and your time here on earth. I hope they gave you a guitar instead of a harp to play when you received your final reward...

RIP, Miss Beverly..."

Fine words, I couldn't say it any better.

Last edited by fumo30; 12-26-19 at 12:48 PM.