Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumo30 View Post
Picked from the comments:
"Didn't know Jimi Hendrix had a sister?"
Me neither.

Barbara Lynn

Big thanks to you, fumo30! I knew about Barbara Lynn as a singer and songwriter [The Rolling Stones covered her hit Oh! Baby (We Got A Good Thing Goin') on one of their early 1965 albums], but I wasn't aware she was a guitarist, much less such a good guitarist, so thanks for the new view; also thanks for that specific clip because it led me to a channel where complete episodes of the TV show your clip came from, The!!!! Beat, can be viewed; there are some impressive acts performing on the shows; such local shows back in the day were some of the only places to see some of the great Blues, Soul, and R&B artists of the 50s - 70s. Again, many thanks...

Seeing Barbara Lynn playing guitar reminded me of another Blues guitarist who passed away this past October at the age of 80, Unless you are or were a close follower of the blues, you might not have heard of her or her trailblazing and influence on other female Blues artists, and not a few male artists, also. Beverly "Guitar' Watkins was a respected guitarist who started out working with Piano Red aka Dr. Feelgood, and later went on to play with many stars, including names like James Brown and Ray Charles. Being part of the bands for the headliners meant that, outside of those who paid attention to the side players, the general public rarely heard of her. She didn't start to get notice for her skills and musical importance until very late in her life, but she was more than up to the task of taking center stage even in her senior years...

Can a 77-year old lady play guitar? Oh, please...

...and here she is being herself...

To Beverly: though you weren't well-known to many, to the many who did know of you, you were an awesome example of the human spirit and the power of music. Thank you for sharing your gifts and your time here on earth. I hope they gave you a guitar instead of a harp to play when you received your final reward...

RIP, Miss Beverly...

<O>