View Single Post
Old 12-24-19, 10:15 AM   #10
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I used to be a computer techie, until I quit staying at Holiday Inn Express (sorry, old TV commercial joke)... But I am basically a dweeb anymore due to technological advances, and a failure of my grey matter to understand, or even attempt to comprehend why it's now OK to install malware on a computer, like Windows 10 or the latest offing from Apple... invasion of privacy used to be sacrosanct... but I digress - it is what it is anymore these days. Uncle Sam and Brother Comrade are where they are... George Orwell was just off a few years is all...

Anyway, as Anvar1061 mentions, the only point you missed was "What OS you are using and its bit-depth (32 or 64-bit)"? Otherwise, your computer looks to be from about the 2014 era I will guess, most likely came with Win8.1 64-bit installed (since you have 4-8 gig of RAM and your game install folder is listed as "(x86)") - you probably had a "free" update to Win10, which is fine. While it is not the latest / greatest hardware, it is more than sufficient for Silent Hunter. Maybe not at full-on settings, but it will definitely be playable at mid-range settings. I have a similar laptop, though it is older and a Core i3 first gen with onboard Intel "HD" graphics that uses "shared" system RAM, which your video sub-system has dedicated VRAM, which is better.

If you only have Steam SH3, or even if you have the whole series, I would use JSGME and de-activate all mods in all of the games. Then use the Steam app on your computer to un-install them. Then use the Windows or Steam un-installer to take Steam off the computer. Most laptops only have the one usable hard drive partition, so you want to re-install Steam and the games outside of Program Files (x86) folder, so when you go to re-install them, change the path from "Program Files (x86)" to something like "Games" or whatever you want. You just don't want to put the Steam parts into the "root" folder of the hard drive. You will still see parts of Steam install into the "Program Files (x86)" folder, but that part is OK there. Your Steam Library folder cannot be there, hence the suggestion for "C:\Games \ Steam..." Your SH3 would end up in "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter III" and below. Some of the SH3 mods will require you to change your SH3 folder name to eliminate spaces in its name. Pay attention to the mod instructions. One thing about the Steam install is that you have the latest / greatest version of the SH3.exe file, so you won't have to do anything fancy with that, like some of the disk versions of the game do. I have an old StarForce version (affectionately referred to as StarFarce) that was a real bother to work with. I lost the disk, and still can't decide if it was accidental, or purposeful... Anyway, just that "little" move of the game install will allow you to create your MODS folder and put one mod set at a time in it for JSGME activation. If you want to noodle with more than one mod set at a time, that would require the use of MultiSH3 and copies of your SH3 install, which is an advanced subject for sometime later when you get used to what you are doing with one mod. Nothing to keep you from reading about it though, and decide if it's for you...

As for the resolution stuff, I have my LSH and WAC installs set-up for widescreen, but I used mods expressly for those base mods, and I do NOT remember what hoops - if any - that I had to jump through for them. The big thing for my desktop computer is to match the game's resolution to the displays, which is more difficult to do in SH3 than it is in SH4. You might have something like 1600x900 as a "native" display resolution on your laptop, which you will see Windows show as "recommended". That is your "target" resolution, but I do remember having to "Window" one of my SH3 installs on the old laptop, so that I could set a 1280 x 720 to display... but my memory - I gorfet certain important details, and would have to re-read the widescreen mods to remember what to do ... I do not noodle in SH3 like I used to, and you would have to ask for better / more accurate / reliable help from others.

One last thing I can point out is THEBERBSTER's "stickie" posts "SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX" (which has some info useful to SH3) and " LSH3-2015 <> TUTORIALS <> ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW <> ALL IN ONE PLACE" which is also usable for other mods. Some altering of instructions might be necessary, but always follow the instructions for the mod you are attempting to activate. Lots of useful reading available.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote