View Single Post
Old 12-13-19, 01:29 PM   #1
FeatsOfStrength
Gunner

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default Question regarding AA guns and deflective shooting

To what extent do I need to employ deflective shooting when firing AA guns? I've found that the only planes I seem to be able to score hits on easily are Swordfish.. which represent practically no challenge at all. Any kind of aircraft that moves faster than that though I can't seem to hit whatsoever. I'm not talking kills, more so just regular hits.

I've spent about 18 years playing IL2 as well as other Air combat sims going back to the DOS version of B17 Flying fortress and they require quite a skill when it comes to deflective shooting (knowing where to aim in relation to the direction and incoming speed of Aircraft to score a hit) so i've learned a system in those games, which works across games as it happens for using a gunners sight to accurately judge the speed and angle of an incoming attacker and adjust my aim accordingly ( this WW2 training film aimed at wastegunners basically outlines what I attempt to do).

Obviously, firing from a submarine moving slowly through the sea requires different calculations to a plane, but i'm suprised at how different as I never seem to hit anything unless it's moving very slowly. The most success i've had in game is when I aim directly on a target, my deflective shooting techniques don't seem to make any difference, so I was wondering if ballistics were fully implemented or if there was only bullet drop? and if anyone has any techniques that work?
FeatsOfStrength is offline   Reply With Quote