View Single Post
Old 11-15-19, 09:17 PM   #10
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 437
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
I did a write up of the Cobia it’s on the forum but it was a private tour of Cobia
thanks. i just read it. nice report. that's the same tour i had except we were not allowed on the bridge or lookout posts or the 4 incher. it was winter and i suspect they did not want any one to slip and fall due to water/ice on steel.

yes, we went everywhere you documented. i was surprized how small the battery rooms were. sailors of that era must have been little guys because some of those spaces are really tight. my father completed 9 war cruises on a diesel boat and he was a small guy. i always thought that he was exceptional in that regard but after touring the various boats i am thinking that guys of his stature were the norm on diesel boats.
i declined the offer of the torpedo tube. when i served, being stuffed in the torpedo tube was the alternative to being dumped over the side: not something that was desired.
the cobia was the only diesel boat that allowed access to the conning tower. here again, i was surprized how small the space was. i am not a big guy but i had stoop (crouch?) the whole time i was up there.
i'll try to remember more and write later.
time to power down.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote