View Single Post
Old 10-14-19, 05:41 AM   #7759
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 0

Interesting comments by Sen. Rand Paul on NBC's "Meet the Press".

Quote:
..this is a hundred year old war between the Turks and the Kurds. Realize the president is asking is it in our national security interest to somehow figure out how the Kurds can live with the Turks?
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...the_kurds.html

Quote:
So there is this long history. And the question we have to ask is, and I have to ask, am I going to send the sons and daughters of America and mothers and fathers, and I'm to send them there to die to try to figure out how the Kurds and the Turks can get along? And I don't see that in our national interest. And we should vote on it. We should vote on it in congress and declare war if that's what people want.
Quote:
But what I would say is this, we have to debate in congress. We are -- my oath is to the constitution. My oath isn't as to some promise that somebody thinks we made for a Kurdish homeland. We should vote. And here's the reason why we won't vote, they don't know who to declare war on?

Are we going to declare war on Turkey? We're going to declare war on the Free Syrian Army, which was our ally for seven years. Are we going to declare war on Assad?

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke