View Single Post
Old 10-08-19, 12:28 PM   #18
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default WSJ: LATEST

Quote:
LONDON—British Prime Minister Boris Johnson called Monday for a U.S. diplomat’s wife who police say was involved in a fatal car crash to return to the U.K., saying she shouldn’t have used diplomatic immunity to leave the country.
The intervention followed the death of 19-year-old Harry Dunn in August after his motorcycle collided with a car near a Royal Air Force base in Northamptonshire, central England, that is used by the U.S. as a communications station.
Anne Sacoolas, the wife of a U.S. official, left the U.K. shortly after the accident, according to police and the victim’s family.
Northamptonshire police said the 42-year-old American woman was a suspect in an investigation into the crash and had “previously confirmed to us that she had no plans to leave the country in the near future.”
Mr. Johnson urged Ms. Sacoolas to return.
“I hope that Anne Sacoolas will come back and will engage properly with the processes of law as they are carried out in this country,” Mr. Johnson said in a television interview. “If we can’t resolve it, then of course I will be raising it myself personally with the White House.”
A spokesman for the U.S. Embassy declined to comment on the identity of the driver of the car involved in the crash.
“Any questions regarding a waiver of the immunity with regard to our diplomats and their family members overseas in a case like this receive intense attention at senior levels and are considered carefully given the global impact such decisions carry; immunity is rarely waived,” the embassy spokesman said.
The U.S. ambassador in London has already been petitioned by British Foreign Minister Dominic Raab for Ms. Sacoolas’s diplomatic immunity to be waived. Nick Adderley, the police chief in Northamptonshire, has also written to the embassy urging a waiver.
Mr. Dunn’s family said they wanted Ms. Sacoolas to return so that they can begin to grieve the death of their son.
“I wouldn’t want to think that she put herself on that plane to go home to avoid what she’s done,” Charlotte Charles, the mother of Harry Dunn told the British Broadcasting Corp.
Ms. Charles added that she was told at the time of her son’s death that Ms. Sacoolas had no intention of leaving the U.K.
Ms. Sacoolas couldn’t be reached for comment.
It is unclear what the U.K. could do to force Ms. Sacoolas’s return. Under the 1961 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, diplomats and their families are immune from the criminal jurisdictions of their host state. However, that immunity can be waived by their home country.
“I do not think that it can be right to use the process of diplomatic immunity for this type of purpose,” said Mr. Johnson.
I SUSPECT THE DIPLOMATIC WHEELS ARE CURRENTLY IN MOTION AND THERE WILL BE A RESOLUTION IN THE MATTER...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote