View Single Post
Old 10-06-19, 02:28 PM   #9
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 437
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcrane View Post
Thanks man never heard of that one but will check it out!
my suggestion is to read the book, Bedford Incident. so much better than the movie. the book examines real Cold War scenarios that are as valid today as they were in 1963 when Rascovich wrote the book. the movie was a bit hammy and the ending is nowhere near as poignant as the book ending.
the same is true for RSRD. The book is very much different than the movie. different and better. both of these books are in my library.

all of the other movies mentioned are excellent WWII sub movies: Destination Tokyo, Torpedo Run, Operation Pacific, Enemy Below. Also, Das Boot which was not mentioned.
i probably watch Destination Tokyo and Enemy Below a couple of times every year. The latter because it examines the submarine vs surface fleet as direct adversaries. the only thing missing is that the sub never hunts a convoy. i watch the former because one of the themes in the movie was very similar to something my father did as a GM-striker on his first patrol. one con about Destination Tokyo is that it is a propaganda flick where they spout some untrue lines as fact.....and the fact that no US sub actually entered Tokyo Bay while on a war patrol. Torpedo Run has one of those themes also. Pure Fiction. But then again, it is motion pictures.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote