View Single Post
Old 09-23-19, 07:51 AM   #833
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I'm certainly not disbelieving you but having read the above has prompted me to make a mental note and do a little research on the subject matter.
Then why not starting with what this guy LINK, a historian and professional expert for the Stasi's history, has to say on it and on claims that Merkel even worked for the Stasi herself under the codename "IM Erika".

Quote:
Dr. Hubertus Knabe is a German historian based in Berlin. He is an expert on East Germany and the legacy of communist Regimes in Europe. From 2000 to 2018 he was the Director of the Berlin-Hohenschönhausen Memorial, the former central prison of the Ministry of State Security (Stasi)
This claim most likely seems to be a propaganda coup (I fell for it myself in the past, but understood that I was probably misled there). But the history of her family and her activities in the FdJ are real. Her father was informant of the Stasi for sure, his file proving it was found, the operaiton yb the stasi to undermine the Protestant church is documented. The chancellor's office tried extremely hard from Merkel'S first month in office on to make any biographical documents and official papers from GDR times unavailable. Files disappeared, journalists asking unwanted questions were clearly indicated that if they want to have a future in reporting from Berlin's political scene they better learn to not ask these questions.

Or in plain English: they tried to bury it.

I give the original German link to Knabe's text about Merkel. One has to admit, no matter where one stands, that he tries to approach the subject as fair and objective as he can.

https://hubertus-knabe.de/auf-den-spuren-von-im-erika/

Use the Google translator and see whether it works. For me, it did not accept the text, but that could be some browser setting of mine. Some webpages I cannot get translated in Google Translator.