View Single Post
Old 08-27-19, 04:58 PM   #4569
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post

Cool beans, I think he done blew up the microphone.

Rumble is one of the archetypal R&R guitar recordings of all time. I remember, as a young kid, hearing the number on the radio and being captivated by the sound of that guitar and the overall feeling of menace in the mood. I remember the older kids really liked the record, but our school frowned upon it as being "JD" (juvenile delinquent) music; it was never banned in San Francisco, and it wasn't until years later I learned it was banned in other cities. This Wikipedia article has some interesting information:

Rumble (instrumental) --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_(instrumental)

The number was also very influential for one particular listener who later went on to make a bit of a name for himself on the guitar:

There is something amusing about watching someone like Page playing 'air guitar to favorite record...

I know there are several guitar players in Subsim and I think it might be interesting to hear about what their first guitar influence experiences were. I started being interested in playing guitar when I heard Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley songs on the radio as a kid; Bo had that rhythm and that tremolo guitar sound, but Chuck had all those flash licks and runs, so this song is the one that really got me wanting a guitar:

Every guitar player that followed after him owes a royalty to Chuck for all those cool playing moves they nicked from him over the years...

I still play 'air guitar' to that song...

Years later, as a 13-year-old kid watching the Ed Sullivan show in February of 1964, four rather regular looking guys with guitars had girls screaming to get at them; hmm, regular guys (like me) with teenage girls throwing themselves at them (unlike me) and the main difference was they had guitars and I didn't: "I really gotta get a guitar!!" ...

Anybody else?...

<O>