View Single Post
Old 08-16-19, 03:05 PM   #8467
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
At one point in time, I had the game running in 32-bit XP, with an AGP nVidia GT6200... I'm afraid those days are gone forever though... But I did have it running acceptably on this current computer with an ATI HD 4550 card, which was purchased for an audio workstation and does not have a cooling fan... very unimpressive, but it could run the game at 1280x1024, though I did have to turn all of the "fancy" features off to get close to 30fps... Remember, this is a DirectX v9.0c game, and it really doesn't need a whole lot of power, but the more vram, the better... I'm not "recommending" these guys, just example searches, but NewEgg Vid Cards Under $50 (current - and you can adjust the search parameters) and Best Graphics Card under $50 for Budget PC in 2019 for one fellows opinion from back in January of this year. I have no idea as to the reliability of that article. Just an example of one "source" of "information". Good luck in your hunt!

Now, let me ask you this: Did the fan fail? If so, the circuitry may have protected the GPU, and replacing the the fan might get you going again. However, I also had a "video card failure" a while back that was actually a motherboard failure. If you have another motherboard, try that video card in it, if you can, and try another video card in your current board. In my case, (literally... ), the motherboard had both cap failure, and bad solder joints. It was one of those early silver solder builds, before manufacturers realized how delicate silver solder was to the hot / cold cycles of a computer... Anyway
Good point about the MB. I have another older pc. I’ll try the card swap first, then check the sources you suggest. All I want to do is limp along until the COB gives the ok to replace all. Thanks tons for your input and time.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote