View Single Post
Old 07-22-19, 01:30 PM   #105
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Sky, whilst much of what you say rings some truth there is one undeniable fact. The UK even with six warships in the area is second only to the US in her military contribution.

Speaks volumes for the other countries that navigate the waters don't you think.

Seizure of assets and a trade embargo are now being given consideration so let us wait and see what our brave 'allies' are prepared to do/bring to the table.
Indeed, but Lonbdon knew that it was standing alone in this and that there is no European military mission running currently. It helps nobody to plan on grounds of conditions that are not fulfilled. There will not be a shared ,military, meaningfzul military mission of European allie sin the gulf - and it wa slike that in the past two weeks since Gibraltar as well.

London played with fire while being extrenely ikllk-prepared and just hoped that it would get away with it. But the Iranians spoiled that hope,m they are int he far stronger position.

Jeremey Hunt today accepted the facts when indicating that the UK would not subscribe to the American plan of maximising pressure on Iran. Not after 2003, and not in the absence of European support. Lomndown will accept to negotiate an exchange - the embargo brekaing Tanker form Gibraltar freeed for the British tanker hijacked in the Strait of Horemuz. Which will be a big propaganda victory for Teheran, and a big embarassement once again for London. Assuming that mad Boris does not pull some realxyl crazy stuntk,l but he needs to cook his tea with water olike everybody else as well, and so his options will be as limited as they already are today.

Sorry, Jim, but while we both know that you are right ab out your complaint about the Ezuropeans, I nevertheless do not buy it as an arugment for the past moves of your govenrment. I think that it most oikely was a mix of Brexit chaos, Johnson eleciton threat, and mere incompetence in general in assessing the Iranians correctly. I mean the whole European strategy against Iran is a big erring. I say this since many years: Iran is not about giving up the bomb, the bomb is the only guarantee to keep the Americans away forever for sure. Either the West accepts a nuclear armed Iran sooner or later, with all the dirty consequences that will mean for Islamic terror and proliferation and a nculear arms race in the region, or it accepts the need to deny this option to Iran with the needed amount of military force - which will be a very very huge amount of force, more than Afghanistan or Iraq. This will not be about surgical strikes with scalpel-like tiny knifes, but a berserker'S party with broadswords and warhammers. I do not see that either Trump or any European has the will to carry this out. And just one night of Tomahawks strikes as a punishement for something will not get any signficant message across. Plus that Iran has the means and options to retaliate in asymmetrical ways.