View Single Post
Old 07-08-19, 03:25 PM   #10
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

The latest on the quakes in Kern County:

Ridgecrest, a city of about 29,000 persons, is still feeling swarms of aftershocks and is still dealing with cleanup. Massive support is being offered and provided by first responder units from other jurisdictions throughout CA and from out of state. Locally, it has been reported the evacuation of the NWAS China Lake, of which Ridgecrest is the main civilian area, is going to remain on minimal staffing for the foreseeable future; tis is an additional blow to Ridgecrest since approximately 85% of the economic life of the town is tied to the NWAS...

things are worse for the town of Trona, population about 1,900 persons, and about 20 miles from Ridgecrest. Trona is also on the epicenter's fault line and was hit even harder than Ridgecrest; the towns water system was severely damaged and there is no running water; electric power has been spotty and unreliable; many of the homes and buildings were so damaged, fearful residents have been sleeping outdoors. Its going to be a difficult recovery for Trona...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Well I didn't feel any of it at the Giant's game last night but my sister in Santa Barbara sure did. A friend in Walnut Creek (Concord) felt it though. Left the game in the fifth inning and went to Amichi's Pizza across from the ballpark and enjoyed some cheaper beer and New York style pizza while watching the game on video. Win! The ferry ride to Larkspur still took until 00:45 to dock. I love the 50 minute ferry ride from the park and feeling the swells when exposed to the full current from the Golden Gate. I expect Gojira to show every time.....

The 7.1 quake hit while the LA Dodgers were playing a home game and this is footage of what happened at the game:

The feeling of swells you mentioned was exactly what the earthquakes felt like here in LA. When I was a kid in SF, I used to got down to place near the base of the Golden Gate Bridge and watch boat and ships as they hit the waters of the Bay and the Pacific as they churned together as they met under the Bridge; it was an awesome sight to see a giant ship get tossed around by the remarkable forces of nature...

<O>