Old 06-29-19, 07:01 AM   #199
Benzin1973
Engineer

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
All by estimations, like i believe real kaleuns did my friend
The more you get used to targeting, the more you know how to estimate range and AOB
It happens i miss, but i hit very very often ... when they are not dud
I don’t measure on map at all.
The principal factor is target speed in my opinion. Because i fire very close to targets, i can have a slightly wrong AOB and distance...but a wrong target speed is a miss for sure!
Same was SH3/SH5 for me.

I’m glad the little mod solved your resolution problem

Very nice! It takes a lot of practise (and skill) to hit targets just using visual estimations.
Yes i agree, speed is the most significant value. Get that right at close ranges (say 400 to 700 meters), and you can have errors in everything else and still hit.

And i do belive you are right, experienced captains when engaging at close range did so by visual estimation. However, i do recall reading (sorry dont remember the source), that novice captains, and even experienced ones when firing at medium / long distances, used the graduations on the scope, along with their experience (and rec manuals some times) to calculate ranges and speed.

Speaking of targeting methods, do you know the "broken TDC / Fast attack" method available in the SH3 MaGUI UI? where you only need to know the target´s speed and course, and you dont even have to ID him or know his range.
Its awesome! it would be great to have that in OM. I might give it a shot at implementing it, all it takes is to incorporate the charts (images) and to set the speed of the torpedoes to historical (?) values.
Benzin1973 is offline   Reply With Quote