View Single Post
Old 06-12-19, 11:29 AM   #8244
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
I seriously expected you to tell me that was beyond the scope of FOTRSU. But yes I plotted a course and used as much TC as the game would allow. One thing I have come to realize is that the plotted course is not exactly the boat's path of travel. You will swing wide of the plot on turns. And the sharper the turn, the wider the deviation. Yes I heard the typical noises of damage after the fact coming out of TC. I think there is a protrusion of an underwater obstacle, to the starboard side, before you reach the lake. The reason for me going? I wanted to see if I could make it on fuel to the North Atlantic. Even possibly engage in combat. I passed Scapa Flow and on to the German and then the French coasts. Near as I can tell there is no Allied or Axis naval or air traffic at all. I did make it to one French port and flew the free camera out to see what was happening on the docks. I found an invisible German band playing music and Nazi propaganda posters plastered all over. No people, boats, or any other signs of life though. I stopped there. I wonder if I had continued my circumnavigation of the globe if I would have returned to the same universe that I left.
I think you are allowed one and a half circumnavigations of the globe, from what I remember reading... I'm thinking that was from aanker, but cannot remember for certain... but yes, you could go from Pearl through the canal to Portsmouth, to Scotland, to the Azores, etc., and around the Cape of Good Hope (Cape Agulhas), and across the Indian and Pacific Oceans, and then to probably the canal again.

You would either have to add more bases to stop and get fuel at, or turn on unlimited fuel to make it though. I've never done that though, so I don't know for certain. I did do the Panama Canal the other day though, and was able to make it without damage, noticing that on several turns, unless you zoom way in and add waypoints, you will go over land. A couple of the turns, it looks like a person might be better off with backing up and turning to face, then going forward to turn through...

There might be an add-on later for FotRSU, that would include a bit more traffic for the Atlantic & Indian Oceans, but I have not attempted to see how badly it would slow down load times yet. It is practically impossible to do that in SH3, due to the way the whole campaign loads, but in SH4 v1.5, the files load "dynamically", though I'm sure there's a practical limit to how much the game can keep track of in its database. I do want to find that limit though, if there is one...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote