View Single Post
Old 06-12-19, 05:33 AM   #8243
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
As for the canal, how did you travel through? Did you hear any "Banshee Skreaching"? Like you were running over an anti-sub net? There are none there in FotRSU, if that's what you were using. However, there is one little thing about the game, when it comes to navigating in tight places, like a canal. If you look at the "lay of the land" in the Mission Editor, it actually looks quite a bit like it does on the NavMap, as far as the "jaggies" go:

But notice that I've got the "View" menu open, and selecting the "Render accurate shoreline"? That yields a slightly different picture:

They do not have that in the NavMap view, only the "jaggie" shoreline. Notice how the land and sea are displaced in different places? This is why sometimes, you just have to be on the bridge, personally driving the boat. It just might be that you scraped bottom or the sides in a couple of spots, which is entirely too easy to do if doing Waypoint navigating, especially if you do TC above 8x and don't get to hear all the warning sounds... Myself, I have not tried to go through there, but I will now. Then I might try the Suez, and a few others... - If you look closely at the map in the ME, you'll notice some "odd" changes from land to water in there, especially the west end of Gatun Lake, and up by Colon, which is where it appears that the adjoining grid was not edited the same, so it might also be that there are "pillars of death" in there, like we had at Truk in an earlier version of FotRSU, which you would not see those, unless on the bridge the whole time.
I seriously expected you to tell me that was beyond the scope of FOTRSU. But yes I plotted a course and used as much TC as the game would allow. One thing I have come to realize is that the plotted course is not exactly the boat's path of travel. You will swing wide of the plot on turns. And the sharper the turn, the wider the deviation. Yes I heard the typical noises of damage after the fact coming out of TC. I think there is a protrusion of an underwater obstacle, to the starboard side, before you reach the lake. The reason for me going? I wanted to see if I could make it on fuel to the North Atlantic. Even possibly engage in combat. I passed Scapa Flow and on to the German and then the French coasts. Near as I can tell there is no Allied or Axis naval or air traffic at all. I did make it to one French port and flew the free camera out to see what was happening on the docks. I found an invisible German band playing music and Nazi propaganda posters plastered all over. No people, boats, or any other signs of life though. I stopped there. I wonder if I had continued my circumnavigation of the globe if I would have returned to the same universe that I left.

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote