View Single Post
Old 05-31-19, 07:18 AM   #10103
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

Despite economical.. challenges (i guess you are right with electric ovens, since you have cut down all the forests and wood in Scotland, and your new SSBN subs can probably make up for electrical loss if connected to the power grid ) i found this paragraph to be the most clear:

" [...] And how can we ever get back from this dark place? From this childish, binary way of engaging with and talking about those we disagree with? How do we live with those who have embraced this breakdown of civil society to such an extent they feel free – emboldened even – to express their racism and anti-Semitism, their misogyny and homophobia, their angry, righteous ignorance publicly and with impunity?
I really grieve for what has been so carelessly and thoughtless thrown away.

For all those carefully constructed bridges between people, communities, countries, ways of life and thought, which have been burned, or are about to be burned, down. So when I look to the future my question is; will it ever again be possible for us not to be angry all the time?"

I think this question is valid for a lot of continental countries. I ask myself whether this is a last protest of the far right seeing their influence dwindle in enlightened times, or is is it really a shift back to darker ages.
Pressure from the left provokes counter-pressure from the right. Force inflicted, inevitably returns. Liberals and progressives have pushed the envelope so far in the past 30, 40 years that now even former modest, reasonable people of the political middle grow in tolerance for equal extremists from the other side of the spectrum, just so to have them countering the extremists from the left and their policies, and just so because themselves they have the nose full of the progressives and liberals and their lefty ways.

Some claim that to be only "protest", and protest voting. I say such voices aim and precisely miss their target - and therefore will fail in finding a remedy for their decline. The good news is they are gone then. The bad news is we then have the right to deal with. I do not say the one evil is lesser or worse than the other, to me both stink with the same smell. I reject to fight against the one of the them just to see the other benefitting from that. And when they go after each other, I stay away and at best make sure that they do not get interrupted. I may not like Nazis. But I do not like EUcrats and lefties as well, I am as sick of these as I am sick of the first.