View Single Post
Old 06-03-06, 05:10 PM   #130
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

I was a regular poster at Subsim when I got a PM from Neal asking if I'd be interested in being part of a core group to plan and start a new site which became the WPL. That was (I think) about 8 months before the SHII release date which then got pushed back. I remember being the 4th or 5th poster at the WPL and the post was just a simple..."Reporting in"
We debated and voted on things like whether members should be automatically assigned to a Flotilla based on region, and that the 9th should be given to the German players, if we got enough of them to join. (We had no idea how big that place would get)

I lurked at Subsim for about a year before I joined....which was probably in 1999. I think I used RickC then but I can't remember. (I'm old)
The integrity of this place stood out like a beacon and the help you got from the people here wasn't just good, it often came from guys who had a naval history and that impressed me. The early names I remember were Bill Nichols and Hondo. I stumbled onto the place by searching the web for tech help.

Memories... Beta testing SHII - Destroyer Command multiplay with Neal, Old Man, Ddoutel (Duane), and some others. It was hard to go through the necessary business when you really wanted to cut loose on somebody. Somehow, some way, before we ended for the night Old Man (cwarrior0 to some) would find a way sink Neal's destroyer.

Getting to know Frank, Tak, Rich, Nos, ZZsteven and the rest of the Yahoo Crew.
Playing in a DD with Rich (Deerhunter UK) vs Sharky and after cease fire was called I drove my destroyer right up beside Rich's for a photo shoot. Sharky took the picture then sent an eel into my boilers.
Frank teaching me vertical TMA.

Yes, guys. I showed a longtime friend, Sharky, the WPL and this place and she joined soon after. All you potato peelers have me to blame.

Torplexed...you underestimate yourself. You're art is fantastic and you have a gift for capturing the personality of your subject matter. They are anything but just strange cartoons.

Bad... That 5 page list of rules for WPL multiplay. Neal wanted to keep the rules as short as possible, and that was as short as possible.
..The shortcomings of SHII.

RickC

Last edited by RickC Sniper; 06-03-06 at 05:26 PM.
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote