View Single Post
Old 04-14-19, 02:23 PM   #50
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I mean is there any reasonable explanation when three different experienced pilots in videos do not throttle back in this situation, like the ethiopian pilot did (not)?
You have a AND (=Aircraft Nose Down) trim, reducing power would make it worse which in turn would make the pilot in charge to have to pull back on the yoke even more. The video also does not show all the other crap the Ethiopian pilots had to deal with. Crap like yoke shaker (stall), over speed warning etc. Contradictory warnings.

Also, to address what RR said elsewhere about MCAS not being a band aid; it absolutely is. The MAX wouldn't have gotten certification without MCAS.

EDIT:
Quote:
edit what i do not understand is why he at first lets the copilot trim the plane forward instead of backward, the latter woulod be bringing them out of the situation?
@2:09 They start to simulate MCAS pulling the nose down. Mentour Pilot is a 737NG pilot, so the simulator is probably also a 737NG one.
EDIT2: To further elaborate; the first downward trim is a run away stabilisator, the manual trim is to simulate the MCAS behaviour.
Unfortunately I've not the full video.

Last edited by Dowly; 04-14-19 at 02:46 PM.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote