Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 02-28-19, 10:41 AM   #7642
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 437
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
The Hagruo.cfg "Draft=6.4" (in meters) measurement is what's shown in the Recognition Manual. This figure is what you should use when setting up your torpedoes before firing at the specific target. The "Draught=10.5" (again meters) from the same ships .sim file, is what the model uses for the actual draft figure. The fact the "listed" Recognition Manual figure of 6.4 meters is less than the actual figure (10.5 meters) used for the ship model (which is the depth at which a torpedo will either strike a target model, or if greater, will miss the target) seems fine. There should be no reason to think setting your torpedoes for 6.4 meters would not hit a 10.5 meter draft modeled ship. It is NOT as KaleunMarco describes.

This doesn't take in the other "variables" that come into play with torpedoes, but it's correct with understanding the listed RM data and what a modeled ships parameters are.
I must disagree, with respect, based on experience and testing.

I fired a whole-boat-load of torpedoes at a small convoy of Ada and Aden marus. Using the event camera I was able to see that every single shot ran too deep. I use auto-targeting, so the draft values are generated for each shot automatically.
In an effort to find the root cause, I returned to my in-port save file and then proceeded to negate all of the torpedo side effects: circle run, deep run, dud, etc. set them all to zero for the torpedoes I had on board. This will eliminate torpedo performance variations. Then restarted the mission from port and sailed back into the west-Pac looking for more Adas and Adens. When I found them and attacked, the same damn thing happened: every shot ran deep. It cannot be bad torpedoes because I eliminated those in the SIM settings...the problem has to be the system generated draft. So, I attacked again only this time I changed my depth setting manually to a value less than the automatic setting and ....bingo... got hits.
Next test, I changed the SIM-draft setting for the Ada and Aden to the same value that is stored in CFG and sailed back into the west-Pac looking for more Adas and Adens. When I found them and attacked, using auto-targeting, every torpedo fired hit the ship.
So, now, based on testing, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that the auto-targeting draft is too deep because it uses the draught (sic) value in the SIM file for the respective ship.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote