View Single Post
Old 02-27-19, 10:43 PM   #7637
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
yep...you were bitten by the draft-disparity-bug.
NCA_HAGURO.CFG
ClassName=CAHaguro
3DModelFileName=data/Sea/NCA_Haguro/NCA_Haguro
Draft=6.4

NCA_HAGURO.SIM
draught=10.5

so, the simulated draft of the cruiser you fired on is 6.4 meters but the draft set for your torpedo depth is 10.5 meters.
you would never have hit that ship with the computer-set-draft.

there are a number of ships that have this feature.
please do not get angry at me...i was stung by the bug when i fired on the Aden Maru, the Ada Maru, the Ansyu Maru, and others.
The Hagruo.cfg "Draft=6.4" (in meters) measurement is what's shown in the Recognition Manual. This figure is what you should use when setting up your torpedoes before firing at the specific target. The "Draught=10.5" (again meters) from the same ships .sim file, is what the model uses for the actual draft figure. The fact the "listed" Recognition Manual figure of 6.4 meters is less than the actual figure (10.5 meters) used for the ship model (which is the depth at which a torpedo will either strike a target model, or if greater, will miss the target) seems fine. There should be no reason to think setting your torpedoes for 6.4 meters would not hit a 10.5 meter draft modeled ship. It is NOT as KaleunMarco describes.

This doesn't take in the other "variables" that come into play with torpedoes, but it's correct with understanding the listed RM data and what a modeled ships parameters are.

===============

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDW
From doing RFB it always amazes me how many people are surprised to learn how bad our torpedoes actually were.

Wish I still had all the files when I researched this, but if someone has some historical questions, I'd be glad to answer.

So people know, a target angle of 90 degrees (perpendicular) had a <10% chance of detonating when run at high speed. As the angle changed, the chance of detonation increased. If I remember right (been a while so these may be off) it was 70% at 45 degrees and 90% with an angle of 20 degrees or less. There was little change in the dud rate until an angle of 70-75 degrees was reached. There were other numbers I found, but those are the ones I remember.

Going to slow speed didn't double the chances of detonation, but did increase them.

My understanding is someone came along after I turned over the RFB project and changed the numbers, getting them wrong. Too bad. But man did I catch hell for the torpedo changes and had to post the story of the Tinosa and a couple others for people to back off.

Note: this doesn't even take into account the depth problem or the magnetic exploder issue
AND, How the H-E double L are you SWDW??? Man, it's been a long time!! Good to hear from you my friend!?!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 02-27-19 at 11:03 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote