View Single Post
Old 02-20-19, 12:12 PM   #10
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

One thing to consider in low visibility, range is not the same as the torpedo run. Torpedo comes out the tube, makes a 400 yard straight run, then starts the gyro turn (if any) and arms the exploder. Why that makes a difference, depends on target speed and direction.
Torpedo set for 31 knots, target speed 31 knots, range 400 yards.
Head on, torpedo run is 200 yards because the target moved 200 yards and they met in the middle. Thud, no bang.
Firing from behind, torpedo runs until it's out of fuel, since both the torpedo and the target are going the same speed it will never catch up.

If the target is going 20 knots and the torpedo is set for 46 knots firing from directly behind, you could probably get away with shooting at 200 yards range since the torpedo would have to catch up, making a long enough run to arm the warhead. I've never tried this in actual experiments, but in the middle of a task force I've got a cruiser or something coming at me already too close, I wait until he passes and opens the range a little. Depending on speed and gyro angle I've hit from 100 yards with a 160 AOB.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote