View Single Post
Old 01-14-19, 10:06 AM   #15
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

The takeaway is that if you're playing a game you really like, don't change the mods until you have finished that career or cruise. Once you change your mod configuration, there's no going back to that savegame without some strange things going on.

You can get away from that but it involves using a little program in the downloads section called MultiSH4. The only mod in the SH4 stable that actually changes the Sh4.exe file, this allows you to copy your base game files to different directories for different mod configs. Use JSGME inside each installation. Okay that's confusing....

You might have a /SH4 TMO directory with all the game files for Trigger Maru Overhauled. You might have another completely different game directory /SH4 FOTRSU also containing all the game files. You only have to install Silent Hunter 4 once. I suggest making an SH4 Pristine game directory, copying all the files from /Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific into it and and write protecting it as soon as you install the first time. NEVER PLAY THE GAME in SH4 Pristine. That's your treasure chest for original files. You'll need it.

Then make a parallel directory and call it whatever you wish /SH4 FOTRSU. Install JSGME, Large Address Aware and MultiSH4 into that directory. First run Large Address aware and tell it to modify the sh4.exe in that directory to be large address aware. Then run MultiSH4 and you can change the three letter directory in My Documents to any three letters you want. That's a problem with FOTRSU, I suggest FSU, but it's up to you--anything you can identify. Then use JSGME to install your mods.

Each version of Silent Hunter 4 will now have its own configuration safely imprisoned in its own directory and its own safely confined data directory, so you won't have mod cross-contamination. To run the one you want, just run sh4.exe inside the directory with the mod configuration you want.

See? Clear as mud!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote