View Single Post
Old 01-04-19, 06:07 AM   #6991
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1804
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Shame they only gave you a pea shooter to play with. A bushmaster like that comes a up a bit short against a 40mm Bofur on a Tambor from 30 years earlier let alone her deck gun with a trained crew. Should have joined the Navy like I did.

On a deck gun there is a sight setter (puts in sight angle and deflection*also called lead angle*) the trainer turns the weapon to target, the pointer does as well. There is also an officer up higher on the bridge looking down range with optics and calling out adjustments just like ground pounders do. The men on the weapon do not need to see a target they do need to listen to the officer as he tells them wear to aim. This is why following orders is so important.

This little gem will illustrate it for you. Real life isn't a game and the weapons we had in ww2 were far better than some might wish to believe.

I get such a giggle out of this film ... science is king and thank you Archimedes.
Ya, tell me all about ww2. My Grand dad was a plank owner on the USS Grenadier. He was alos the pointer on the 3in deck gun. So why don't you wow me some more with your knowledge. And you might want to take back the "pea shooter ", comment. They M242 has well over twice the muzzle velocity firing APDS rounds than the Mark1 40mm Bofors. Same effective range and much higher armor penetration. As far as the range finders go. Just what kind of range finders do you think the average Jap merchant carried? And how well do you think the gunners where trained that road around on these merchants? And not all deck guns have sight setters. And some of the old obsolete weapons the Japs put on merchies I am sure didn't have them. I am sure that the IJN put their best on them LOL! And the questions are rhetorical so don't really care to here you answer. Oh, and I was in a Department of the Navy. The men's department.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote