Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 01-03-19, 11:40 AM   #6966
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 437
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
I just made it to a stable 60 feet periscope depth from 10 knots on the surface in 54 seconds using all back emergency at the same time I press the "P" key.

Balao class surfaced running at 10 knots. Crew at Battle Stations.

1. Crash Dive / Start stopwatch
2. Watch depth gauge in lower right corner. When it starts going down wait until about 29 to 34 feet. Click "All Back Emergency" and press the "P" key.

3. Stop stopwatch when depth is 60 ft.
Why? Just for fun!

I also let the stopwatch run on until I slowed, all back emergency to 4 knots. (2 minutes 17 seconds.) (then make turns for 4 knots.)

The thing is, the performance isn't consistent. Sometimes it takes longer for the crash dive order to initiate, sometimes the boat just seems to dive slower. This is not a criticism of the game or the v80 modders. Simply a casual observation.

Generally, my strategy for a "crash dive, aircraft spotted" is to immediately order the crash dive, when I'm under, I order 100 feet and ahead 1/3. I spend about 15 minutes at 100 feet, come up to periscope depth at 4 knots, take a look around, come up to radar depth, wait about 5 minutes and then surface and stay on time and on track. Until the next time.

If I ever come across a situation that calls for a quick dip to periscope depth, I know I can (possibly) accomplish it in 54 seconds!

Have you read "Clear the Bridge"? There's a story in there, when Tang actually ran aground at the same moment they were firing their forward torpedoes and backing full! The torpedoes "dipped" into the mud before coming up to set depth and blowing up the target. They were lucky it was soft mud.
interesting work you've done here.
and yes, i have read "clear the bridge". that was interesting also. one cannot duplicate those experiences in a game such as this.

i cannot imagine the mix of emotions felt by the captain as he realized that he was about to be torpedoed by his own weapon.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote