View Single Post
Old 12-20-18, 04:35 PM   #5341
David I
Ensign

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0
Default The Fate of U-254

I began the war with a Med command. U-254's war started in Salamis, Greece in October of 1941 and ended in Toulon in September of 1944.

The Mediterranean is a very busy place and being relatively small gets you into action very quickly and often on patrol. Had many success, including 3 Aquitania Class Liners during the course of the war. There were also some very close calls with the Grim Reaper, but we managed to sailor on.

1944 in Toulon is a dangerous place to be. In July of that year a B-24 raid, which I fought out on the surface, reduced my sub to 4% Hull integrity the most damage I have ever suffered without sinking. From then on I went to periscope depth when Air raids occurred.

Now I knew that Toulon fell to the Allies in September of '44 so I was expecting a notification that my boat was captured along with myself and crew - end of career - but NO!

SPOILER ALERT!!!

What happened was I started my last patrol in the slip late Sept 1944. The band playing, nurses waving, etc. From the Conning Tower I could see that a Merchant Ship blocked the end of the slip. "That's odd, how do I get around that?" I asked myself just as the first shell hit the U-254. I was under direct fire from British destroyers just outside of the harbor! I ordered the boat to periscope depth and a turn to port to get around the Merchant even though there was not enough room. I then went to external view and watched shell after shell slam into my boat as, quite literally, the band played on. Until.....

SPOILER ALERT!!!

We all died. End of Career.
David I is offline   Reply With Quote