View Single Post
Old 12-12-18, 04:07 PM   #6065
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post

The case for campaign finance law violations against Trump seems to be getting yet stronger...

<O>
let's see..

1.-Can a sitting President be indicted? 3+ years until the Supreme Court decides; if no=over; if yes, on to 2

2-Do the facts, even if true, amount to a criminal Campaign finance violation in law? 3+ years until the Supreme Court decides; if no=over; if yes, on to 3

3-Can they prove that a criminal Campaign finance violation occured beyond a reasonable doubt? if no=over; if yes, on to 4

4-Will the guilty verdict be overturned by the Appeals Court 2+ years after 3? if yes=over; if no, on to step 5

5-Will the guilty verdict be overturned by the Supreme Court 2+ years after 4? if yes=over; if no, then Trump will have to pay a fine.

in other words, I would not get my hopes up.

non lawyers are salivating at the thought that this is a smoking gun that will quickly get Trump out of office, but as a lawyer I see little chance this will ever amount to much until he has been out of office for many years. Even then the chances that he would go to jail for this are slim.

now the more interesting discussion is that even if Trump was indicted or even found guilty of criminal Campaign violation, he could still act as President unless he is impeached.

Will the GOP controlled Senate vote to convict him if the criminal Campaign prosecution looks to be politically motivated?