View Single Post
Old 11-20-18, 10:39 PM   #2199
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Of course I couldn't resist the temptation to break things again. I took an old DVD drive I had (old because I bought it in 2006, just before I became homeless, but new because it sat in storage for several years and then my PC died but I left the drive in it) and installed it in the new PC. After a little fiddling it works perfectly.

Then I saw a much better graphics card on eBay for a very good price. It took quite a bit of fighting to get it in, and it also needed a separate power source. I took out the new power supply I had bought and found out that they are modular these days. Instead of a huge bundle of cables coming out of a hole in the back, it has a whole lot of plugs, and cables to go in each one. I had been thinking about adapters and splitters, but now I found out that the cable I need came with the PSU - I just didn't know what it was. now I did, and once it was plugged in everything works perfectly. I'm actually learning something.

In a couple of years, when everything is paid off, I might try my hand at building my own.