View Single Post
Old 11-19-18, 06:40 PM   #119
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Hmm I don't think you understand how that process works. Getting confirmed is all that matters. That's the whole idea. It would not matter who Trump named from that list provided by The Federalist Society. Everyone knew what was going to happen. Some of them even announced it before hand. The result would have been the same. What's changed?

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's take on it.

https://thehill.com/regulation/40650...-partisan-show

The clown show put on by those Democratic Senators sets a new low in behavior. As the President, Trump had the right to nominate a conservative originalist. Just like he promised. Like I said...some people are happy.

And as his predecessor famously said, "elections have consequences" and "I won."

Still, the paucity of a real mandate in the Senate for Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Thomas, etc. in comparison to the very wide, bipartisan endorsements of Ginsburg, Scalia, etc. is a fair bellweather of how, seemingly, the GOP has gone from quality nominees like Scalia to the barely acceptable, in the Senate, except along partisan lines, of Kavanaugh nad Gorsuch; the GOP now has the distinction of have the three lowest confirmation vote tallies for sitting justices...

As far as winning is concerned, well, Trump did win in the Electoral College, but he and his administration still suffers from the fact that 53.9% of the voters chose not to vote for him and the poll numbers have shown his support has slipped further; it is extremely hard to formulate an agenda (let's face it: it is extremely hard for Trump to formulate anything) and have it succeed when you don't have majority support, which Trump still doesn't have and even less after the 2018 Mid-Terms: the losses in the House, the very showing in the Senate, and the general repudiation of Trumpism at the local and state level do not inspire confidence nor does it make for effective governance...

The whole concept of 'I/We won' kind of reminds me of a story I heard when I spent a summer in Central America: there was a woman who was considered by all to be spiteful and wretched and much reviled. She was inordinately sting-willed, in a bad way, strong in the self-belief only sge was right, and given to petulance. She went shopping one day and finished the day with both hands filled with shopping bags, which she firmly gripped by the handles. She decided to take a city bus; the buses were ramshackle vehicles which, because of the heat, had no glazed windows and, because of the custom, no doors, just the door openings. The buses were, on the best of days, dangerously overcrowded, with passengers packed into the buses, some even hanging on to the outside window frames. Well, the woman was determined to get on the bus and plowed in, bullying and forcing her way on and into the interior. Having scored her 'victory', she looked down and found her shopping bags had torn off the handles and all she had, as the bus pulled away, were just those handles. Not willing to admit her actions had had very much less than desirable results, she firmly declared, "I win. I got on the bus!"...

Yes, sometimes you score a 'victory', but all it accomplishes is the loss of what you had a firm hold on; the GOP and Trump are dangerously close to being left with just the handles...

Sometimes the quality of the 'win' is more important than the win itself...

<O>