View Single Post
Old 11-19-18, 05:17 PM   #118
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Wow, what a 'major' accomplishment: Until Kavanaugh, Clarence Thomas received the lowest total confirmation vote in the Senate; Thomas got 52 votes, and Kavanugh got 50. Third lowest? Gorsuch with 54 total votes...

In contrast, Ginsburg got 96 votes out of 99 cast...
Hmm I don't think you understand how that process works. Getting confirmed is all that matters. That's the whole idea. It would not matter who Trump named from that list provided by The Federalist Society. Everyone knew what was going to happen. Some of them even announced it before hand. The result would have been the same. What's changed?

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's take on it.

Quote:
“The way it was, was right,” she said. “The way it is, is wrong."

“The atmosphere in '93 was truly bipartisan," she said. "The vote on my confirmation was 96 to 3 even though I had spent about 10 years of my life litigating cases under the auspices of the [American Civil Liberties Union] ACLU and I was on the ACLU board, and one of their general counsels.”

Ginsburg said the White House at the time was nervous about her affiliation with the civil rights group, but she said she didn’t get a single question from a senator about it.
https://thehill.com/regulation/40650...-partisan-show

Quote:
She noted that both Justice Stephen Breyer and Scalia were also confirmed by wide margins in the Senate — Breyer by a vote of 87-9, and Scalia by a vote of 98-0.

“Every Democrat and every Republican voted for him,” she said of Scalia.

“But that’s the way it should be. It’s better than what it’s become, which is a highly partisan show.”
The clown show put on by those Democratic Senators sets a new low in behavior. As the President, Trump had the right to nominate a conservative originalist. Just like he promised. Like I said...some people are happy.

And as his predecessor famously said, "elections have consequences" and "I won."

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote