View Single Post
Old 10-31-18, 01:54 PM   #3422
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

@ propbeanie: Welcome back to the thread! Just a couple of days ago I was wondering where you had got to...

I was waiting to see if any would make a post noting the passing of Tony Joe White, a singer/songwriter/producer who made a bit of a name for himself as a singer and contributed to the careers of other very prominent artists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Joe_White

His biggest hit as a singer was this little ditty about a Southern USA delicacy:

My boss at the rock club I worked at in the mid-late 70s, who was from the Louisiana countryside and was very familiar with the traditions down South, told us about how the song was actually a misreading of the actual name, poke sallet. The poke refers to the pokeweed, a wild plant found in the South and is sort of the South's version of the Fugu fish: unless you know how to prepare either, the results can be fatal. Pokeweed, raw is highly toxic and it is recommended you wear gloves when picking the plants. In order to make it edible it has to be washed and cooked several individual times. The sallet does not refer to 'salad', but is a Cajun term for cooked greens, so the title of the song actually refers to cooked pokeweed...

Of course, if the poke sallet didn't kill ya, the gators might (Chomp! Chomp!), or, maybe worse yet, Annie's Ma might git ya, a wretched, spiteful, razor-toting woman...

RIP Tony Joe...

<O>