View Single Post
Old 09-06-18, 04:48 PM   #5312
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
I tend to think the story has more truth than fiction: it would be suicidal for the NYT to run such a piece without being extremely cautious and circumspect about the source. For such a high-profile news outlet to take such an extraordinary step without the most thorough of vetting is inconceivable...
I have no doubt it is true. In fact I would say we will know who the "senior Trump administration official" is shortly. How that person expected to remain anonymous is hard to understand.

If Trump and others believe that there is a deep state at work in the US Government I can't help but wonder if this will deepen the paranoia or lessen it.

Quote:
Any member of the administration legitimately concerned about reigning in the president’s outbursts—and doubtlessly there are a number of them—would never have sent an article guaranteed to generate more White House chaos and paranoia.

It would make no sense. Trump, after all, is already dealing with interminable leaks. The piece will only further confirm his suspicions that a Fifth Column is undercutting the presidency, which will make him less likely to listen to advisors.
http://thefederalist.com/2018/09/06/...oral-sabotage/

Then there is this from David Frum in the Atlantic. Frum by the way is a fervent never Trumper.

Quote:
Impeachment is a constitutional mechanism. The Twenty-Fifth Amendment is a constitutional mechanism. Mass resignations followed by voluntary testimony to congressional committees are a constitutional mechanism. Overt defiance of presidential authority by the president’s own appointees—now that’s a constitutional crisis.
Quote:
What would be better?

Speak in your own name. Resign in a way that will count. Present the evidence that will justify an invocation of the Twenty-Fifth Amendment, or an impeachment, or at the very least, the first necessary step toward either outcome, a Democratic Congress after the November elections.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...crisis/569443/

Guess some people value that Government paycheck more than the fate of their nation.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by u crank; 09-06-18 at 05:04 PM.