View Single Post
Old 08-30-18, 04:17 PM   #6536
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
great stuff, scurvy. yes, gun-elevation 101. i learned some good stuff.
however, perhaps i did not explain myself properly.
i am trying to get the CrewAI to use an AA_Gun as if it was a Deck_Gun and fire and have the crew fire at ships.
it wont do that at present.
my thought, based on conversations you have had with others in the forum, was that Crew_AI should do what i want if only i changed the AA_gun to a Cannon. for example:

this is Deck_Gun_GE20mm_Turret.sim. BTW, all of the German guns, both AA and deck guns, are labeled as cannons in the game files. and this is a one of two identical weapons on board.

so, when i tried this change i got a CTD. now, realistically, the CTD could be from anything but because this was the only change, i associated the two.
what do you think about my idea? am i missing a file that i need to change?
You do what I've described...... the Crew WILL fire an AA gun at a ship unit.....no problem! They do it all the time if set properly. An AA gun will fire anything you want to fire with it (even a torpedo as I have it!), and, at anything..... ship/plane whatever.

The above picture of the German gun in question looks like it has the parameters for the "Elevation" set OK. That's half the struggle......Now what ship unit is the gun on, and what's the parameters for the obj_Turret for that AA gun?? You have to make sure the "Turret" is going to allow the "Gun" to fire down to the angle you want.

As I said, it appears the "Gun" is set to have FREE RANGE in its Elevation. That's what it looks like with an Elevation: Min= -2.0; Max= 75.0 (I can't say what the Traverse has in it....it's not open). You next want to make sure the "obj_Turret" for the "Gun" (found on the ship units .sim file) can fire at the angles you want.

Getting back to the above image, do you see that "Fire" parameter that has a "+" plus in front of it? What's that parameter have in it? The "Fire" segment usually limits the amount of either Traverse or Elevation....depending on what the thing reads. In my other opinion, THAT parameters should not have anything in it when it comes from the "Gun" .sim file!

You may want to have something there in the ship units obj_Turret of its .sim file, but not in the "Gun" .sim file. The "Fire" segment defines where you can limit certain bearing degrees from firing, no matter what the Traverse and Elevation parameters state. Let's say you set the gun to travel 360 degrees around in it's Traverse axis. But you want to have a certain area where the gun won't fire in its rotation around the circle (you don't want the crew to get peppered with bullets). You define where that area is with the "Fire" section.

Again it's my opinion to not have this "Fire" limitation on the "Gun".....put it into the obj_Turret, NOT the Wpn_Cannon.

And another thing, I told you about the Ammunition?!? Does this German AA gun have more than just AA shells to fire? Put some "Heat" or "AP" into the gun to use.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 08-30-18 at 04:32 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote