View Single Post
Old 08-29-18, 08:12 AM   #6529
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrackerzod View Post
Is it known, or has anybody attempted using any of the versions of the OTC mod with FOTRSU? As much as I'd love a version of OTC specifically for FOTRSU, I don't think its been updated since around 2011..
Optical Targeting Correction (OTC) is not compatible with Ultimate.

Too many new ship units to even come close to having a complete list of files that would correct the accuracy of Manual Targeting. Right now Ultimate is relying on players using Auto Targeting as a way to sink ships. It follows a different approach to torpedo firing than Manual Targeting and is reasonably accurate. Actually its "down to the yard" accurate....the only way you can screw up is with forgetting to open the torpedo doors!

I've glanced through the ship mast height figures for Ultimate (which is the bases for Manual Targeting calculations) and can tell you their off by the same misguided/inaccurate attempt as the Stock game!!

When using Manual Targeting, as before OTC, some ships units will miss their calculated distance to target by 50% due to the inaccurate given measurement of their mast height. An issue that can be fixed by a complete rework of ship measurement. Since there are so many ship units in Ultimate, this will be no small task! But doable.

My plan is to provide a NEW way to have the player "pick" a spot (other than a Mast Top) for Manual Targeting with the Stadimeter, and let that height figure be the calculation for reasonably accurate distance to target. It will take a reworking of the upper right hand "Attack Data Tool" to accomplish this....but that's my plan.

Right now I've been completely involved in just getting things within Ultimate to work as expected, I've not had the time to start on an OTC version for it.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote