View Single Post
Old 08-20-18, 08:53 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
The point isn't how the game is now, it's what Hello Games did at launch and just before it. They lied repeatedly to keep the hype going and get pre-orders before it came out and people realised at what a sorry state the game actually was in.
All this may well be true, for sure it's true that the game was rushed-out with a lot of promised features missing. But please consider: Hello Games were dependent on Sony Corporation and their contractual decision to realease the game at some point, I think Sony didn't care about the state of the game, the 'Hype' was enough for them to make business, it's a questionable practise but certainly profitable as for a marketing decision. At some point, I think, Hello Games were confronted to release the game within a few days, and this 'instruction' came out-of-the-blue.
You can easily protect yourself from all that: I never pre-order any game, I rely on youtube videos, especially 'Let's Play' videos, or written reviews and I can very quickly see if there are major flaws or contradictions with the initial trailers or promo videos (which I never give much credits anyway, a video for selling a game cannot be exactly informative, it's just a 'promo'.) Besides, what do I gain by pre-ordering? I cannot play the game anyway, so I don't see any point doing such a stupid thing, and I cannot impede others to be idiots and lament later...

Despite the blattant extracts of Angry Joe's video seeing Sean Murray (main author of No Man's Sky) responding to very generic questions of journalists (or kind of), I think that he was answering by memory relying on what was in the game *at that time* before release. So it's difficult and inappropriate to just say he lied. The decision to take out features of a game is a practise of ALL major games and have different very practical or legal reasons, the FSK (youth protection), bugs in the game that could hamper future sellings, features not working as intended, copyright reasons and whatnot else, all valid reasons to put things out. At the time of Sean Murray's interview he could not exactly anticipate his actions, also maybe he was a bit naive and simplistic in his responses, so one can be obset because of that, but making him a lyer is just another sort of bad hype, nothing more. Nothing to do with the real situation at the office of HG or in SM's mind.

Besides of all that, if you would like to buy the game today, then the point IS about how the game fares now. On GOG and on Steam, you don't have to pay the full price if you are so patient to wait for sales that can go down -50% of the release price. So the monetary aspect, the game's price is neither a good argument against the game, and never is anyway.

It seems that the lesson to be learned about all this is: A game developer also ought to be a good entreperneur, a good businessman and marketing expert, also a profound psychologist anticipating people's reactions other than a charismatic appearing Leader... A bit too much, isn't it ? Let's not fly away but keep our boots on the ground of reality, please.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 08-20-18 at 09:44 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote