View Single Post
Old 07-11-18, 09:42 PM   #6317
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milano View Post
I apologize, I don't have both installed. Frankly I tried one didn't see a splash screen then tried the other one as well.
Steam can present the user with some challenges. You cannot install the Silent Hunter games in any of the "Program Files" folders in Windows. Those are "protected" by Windows from alteration by "unauthorized" sources. JSGME is not a 'modern' Windows app, and is therefore "unauthorized", as far as Windows is concerned. When you apply mods to files in the "Program Files" folder, Windows "sees" the activity and rolls some of the changes back to the original files. The dds files (pictures) are generally left alone, but to a "T", all of the "cfg" files, which Silent Hunter uses to configure the game, Windows interprets those as "system" files, and puts them back. You end up with partially activated mods, and this will often crash the computer.

Look through THEBERBSTER's thread SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <... for help, paying particular attention to the ones designated with ">Steam User Information". As an example, I responded in Started installing mods - need help to a person needing to move their Steam games install. Steam stays where it is in the Program Files folder, but Silent Hunter gets moved. The Steam site itself has Moving a Steam Installation and Games, which is linked to in the previous link. If you have multiple hard drives in your computer, you can use the Steam Library, as depicted in my picture in the thread linked above, but if you only have one drive, you'll have to do the move manually, as they show on the Steam page, in the second half of their post. Once you get the games moved to a folder of your own choice, the mods should then "stick" after you activate them... Patience is key here, because it will take a while to move things. But after that, and after following some of the links THEBERBSTER has for the Wolves of Steel, you might actually like SH5 better than SH4, though I think you'll like Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate the best...

"...and bollocks to the naysayers" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote