View Single Post
Old 06-16-18, 04:42 AM   #483
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
BTW what is the modern Finnish opinion on Finnish SS volunteers? Are they considered criminals, elite soldiers helping their country or a bit of both depending on individual deeds?
There is no general view on them, but from personal experience they seem to be largely forgotten. Books about the war mention them in passing usually and documentaries tend to not even mention them. I don't personally have any problem with them nor think they did anything wrong by volunteering and fighting in the SS, after all it was the Wehrmacht that Finns wanted to send their men to, but of course that wasn't possible since you had to be German.

Quote:
(BTW I'm unaware of Finnish SS soldiers being involved in war crimes but my knowledge of that is limited if not nonexistent).
Yes, this is the long held view on it. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, study by the Finnish National Archives on the subject of SS-volunteers and war crimes should be out by the end of the year.

PS. Is it just me or is Subsim adding in extra blank lines after you post? Annoying.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote