View Single Post
Old 04-19-18, 04:09 PM   #1
TakeTheBody
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Second guessing sonar bearing

I had success earlier tracking down a few merchants, now I'm doubting my process.

I've watched vids and read articles. Advice is that contact bearing is in relation to subs present position - contact 10 degrees on hydrophone would be just to the right of present course.

My process: Dive to 20m. shut off engines. Listen. Detect ship. Set new course towards bearing degree (if bearing was 70 degrees, I set course 70 degrees), mark a spot on map 5k ahead, surface, race towards marker while on surface, reach marker, dive to 20m, shut off engine. Repeat till I close in and merchant spotted on horizon.

Now I'm in a pickle. This method is providing mixed signals. I don't play every day and I spent a whole lot of time practicing targeting, so coming back to hunting with sonar, I second guessing myself.

My jam: I detected ship at 180 degrees. That should be directly behind me. I turned so I'd point to 180 degrees, which now becomes my 0 degree for reference purposes when a new contact is called. I did my surface travel, dived to 20m and listened. But lo and behold, I pick up ship but I didn't "narrow" the bearing, instead, bearing was again 180 degrees. "behind me".

So, its behind me, I turn towards it, travel 5k, listen, and its back to being behind me.

I'm pretty sure, this should have brought the degree contact a little tighter.

What am I missing? There was only one contact when I first detected ship, so I'm almost positive it is only one ship not one in front and one behind. I'd have to be in a perfect sweet spot to move out of the North ship detection range when I go south, then move out of range of south ship detection range, when I go North.

I hate the idea of racing off in the wrong darn direction, and leaving a fat merchant from falling into my clutches.

Its galling since I succeeded twice quite nicely with above method, now things are amiss.

A long post that is rambling but any veteran insight most heartily welcomed.

For the nautically challenged like myself (a mostly land war gaming dude), the compass that has south where I am used to north being, hurts my brain and doesn't help my intercept plans.

Sorry, I'd like to add, that the last time this method worked and I spotted merchant on horizon, if merchant was 20 degrees reading on UZO, I'd turn sub towards 20 degrees and eventually merchant is at roughly 0 degrees - head on. This concept should work with hydrophone and my pursuit method, no?
TakeTheBody is offline   Reply With Quote