Old 04-18-18, 07:11 AM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 303
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleBlueDot View Post
What I want to know is

1) Does it matter what power of persicope (x1.5 , x6 or x12) I use for the U-jagd?
No, for the speed measurement only the centerline is important. If you are measuring range and AOB then yes. As the apparent size changes with zoom level.

Quote:
2) What is the error on the speed measured by the U-jagd when the ship is at a big angle (say, AOB = 35°)?
AOB (angle between target bow and centerline of periscope) doesn't matter. But you can't see the exact tip of the bow and stern when the angle of the bow is near 0 or 180. When you are looking at it's broad side then your timing accuracy is the best.

Quote:
And 3) My original question -- why are my torpedoes missing even though my maths seem to be correct?

I'm a physics student with a minor in mathematics -- my math is usually correct with respect to these things. So I guess it's gotta be an error in torpedo parallax or another measurment error?

I'm tempted to step away from the parallax hypothesis because I tend to keep my gyro-angles under 10°, which should reduce the parallax effect, yet I keep missing or barely hitting the bow.
Are you moving forward when you are doing the U-jagd speed measurement? And are you looking sideways? (bearing not 0 or 180) Then you own speed infuences the measurement. It drags the imaginary fixed wall through the sea sideways. So the other ship has longer or shorter time to pass through it resulting in an incorrect speed. If the periscope is straight ahead or straight aft then your speed does not influence. So best is to come to a true full stop, or turn the bow to face the target ahead of it's path.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote