View Single Post
Old 03-11-18, 08:08 AM   #4391
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I so far lived in the belief, probably due to many-years-outdated input from longer time ago, that the tarrifs the EU raises on US imports and tarrifs the US raiseon EU imports are, all factors calculated in, on a comparable niveau.

Today I read a brief essay whose author claims that this is not the case, but that the EU indeed acts far more protectionistic than the US. For example 10% EU tarrifs on US cars into the EU, but 2.5% on EU cars into the US,
Addendum, today I read that while normal cars indeed have tarrifs mentioned above, trucks and pickups into the Us have punishingly higher tarrifs when imported into the US, than pickuos and trucks going into the EU. For US car makers, the truck business seems to be much more important on the internal US market so that their overpriced costs can be held up against the strong competition of European truck makers that are more popular globally.

I think I have nener seen a single typical US-made truck model with its typical nose design seen on any German street in my life. And pickups representing Northamerican model designs are rare, have kind of an exotic status over here. Also, car models of Northamerican design (model imports, therefore) are almost never to be met on German streets, the demand is almost nil. Not due to tarrifs, but becasue peopel do not show any interest in them. Unfairness, as Trump claims, has nothing to do with it. Just these cars not meeting German/European taste. Obviously it is quite different the other way around, a lot of European car models sell successfully and have a certain base demand in the US.