View Single Post
Old 02-23-18, 01:32 PM   #35
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSmith63 View Post

1. Allow Active Intercept System to be used for target detection, limited TMA. Regardless of the likely classified capabilities of these systems, I think it is logical to assume that a sub’s active intercept system can be used to initially detect a contact, start a contact track, and possibly to do some rudimentary form of TMA and classification. For TMA, maybe just give it the same capabilities as a regular sonar hearing a faint signal with a small bearing rate change.
This is a good idea but in the time frame of the game, WLR-9 Active Intercept was for display only and the data was not fed into Fire Control. The bearing were plotted on the Geoplot.

Quote:
2. Quicker TMA solution when holding a contact on both hull and towed sonar. I started a separate thread on this last month but wanted to include
Quote:
it here as well. Taking simultaneous readings from two passive sonars 2,000 feet apart should provide enough basic triangulation to at least eliminate a number of possible target range/course combinations and speed up the TMA process, especially at the short tactical ranges in CW.

Works well in theory but not in actual practice at the time.

Quote:
3. Start Further Away from Contacts. Especially in 1.09 I seem to always start nearly in active sonar range of the bad guys, which does not seem very realistic. Allow us to start up to 40,000 yards away from contacts, which is probably a more realistic passive direct path range for initial contact of many surface ships, especially tankers, amphibs, etc.
Yea, this works. The larger the ship, the higher the generated self noise level (louder). The smaller the ship the quieter it is a slow speeds.

The feature I would most like is the ability to shoot at flank. All US submarines have been able to do this for over 50 years... sometime you just need to put a 21" countermeasure out in the water to disrupt the badguys...
shipkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote