View Single Post
Old 02-20-18, 06:40 PM   #2554
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

I finally got around to seeing the film Not Fade Away about a kid in the 60s who is a huge Stones fan and starts his own rock group. (Yeah, I know, the film came out in 2012, but, hey, I'm a busy guy... ) The film is sort of the other side of the coin of films like That Thing You Do!, and is a lot closer to what a goodly number of wannabe rocker in the 60s went through trying to make a mark. At the beginning of the film, there is a recreation of the coincidental meeting of the young Jagger and Richards on a city bus where Richards is impressed by Jagger's recently purchased collection of US Blues and R&B records and the seeds of the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World were sown. The film then cuts to a scene of the protagonist watching the Stones on the Ed Sullivan show, under the disapproving and mocking gaze of his father, and getting some ideas of his own. I think a lot of us who were around at the time had a strong empathy for the kid...

The Stones first US TV appearance:

A funny clip of The Stones performing an Arthur Alexander song; look for Mick's reaction at catching the TV camera's long closeup of an oblivious Keith:

This clip is the performance of The Stones at the 1964 TAMI show filmed in Santa Monica, California; it gives a sample of how The Stones were noticeably different from the other UK Invasion bands; in the first shot of the audience, there's a funny shot a rather square looking college type guy looking more than a little befuddled and/or miffed at his girlfriend's obvious enthrallment with the band; sorry, Brad, Janet's not doing the Madison anymore...:

<O>