View Single Post
Old 02-11-18, 02:45 AM   #3
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSmith63 View Post
Man this board is quiet! I didn't hear anything from anyone so I started doing some checking in the campaign files. Turns out there are no Echo IIs in any of the 1984 campaign missions at all. I added them in for myself but not sure if I did it right!

Devs - Was this an oversight or is there a specific reason why they weren't included? The Echo IIs didn't start getting decommed until the early 1990s, so while not top of the line units in 1984 there was still more of them around than all other SSGNs combined.
Depends on your point of view for the Soviets. I would think by the 1980s, trying to run an Echo II through the Norwegian Sea and GIUK gap would be just giving more blood for the blood god (doubly so because if I'm not mistaken even the modernized versions still had to surface to fire off their missiles). My feeling is that they'd use them much as the Novembers are used close to home in Barents, plus they'd be a hedge against anybody trying to press in with a CVBG (that's pretty much the Juliet's mission statement but twice the number of missiles doesn't hurt when you may be going up against an AEGIS cruiser).