View Single Post
Old 12-15-17, 02:12 PM   #3
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

I found a strong layer, got above it about 15Kyds from target, and pointed my snout straight at him. My contact with him was very weak as he was below the layer.

in this demonstration, i fired one MK48 at an offset of about 30-40° to the starboard side of my own boat. i wire guided the waypoint in an attempt to steer the weapon into his baffles, it got about half way to the target before he turned and fired a spread.

I noticed however, that he fired the spread in the direction of the torpedo, which by now was some distance away from me. he had fired at the point where he first detected the torpedo.

the snapshot spread was the usual three torpedoes, but due to the distance between me and my MK48, it was evident that his torpedoes wouldnt come anywhere near me. i enabled the weapon and steered it toward him, it promptly locked on and found its target shortly thereafter.

a lot of the avoidance of launch transient detection, has to do with the ambient noise and layers as i think would be obvious to even a dufus like myself... however, in some environments the ambient noise may be low, or there may be no layer at all.

in those situations, it is important to spend a LOT of time maneuvering your boat into the most favorable firing situation possible. which - may not be possible in the majority of encounters where there are multiple hostiles.

im learning... as much as i LOVE cold waters - i still think spamming out the map with 15+ torpedoes is unrealistic. and i have observed several instances since the beta where enemy units sink their own. I am working on finding a shooting style that avoids having every torpedo in the soviet arsenal hurled at you at once.