View Single Post
Old 05-20-06, 07:35 AM   #9
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amizaur
You can name it whatever you want :-) at least this is my understanding of SCS policy, I don't work for them :-). It can be named for example Adelaide class, or be still a Perry class with only new ship names and nationality. All this is in fact only new hulls (ships) for one existing in-game platform - a Perry FFG. Making new platform would be making Type-212 u-boat or Udayou class... or to say it another way - all you can achieve by database (and controllers.ini) editing, is legal. Illegal is altering the game code, like SCU playable sub changer for Sub Command did. This is how I understand it.
I know that some of what SCU did was merely move the interface files around; e.g. LA ship control, SW sonar, akula tma, etc, to make a new platform. Though I guess in some cases it did some editing to give weapons their correct names, etc.

Anyway, they don't want us to provide any *new* playable platforms at all. Somebody once suggested you could make a virginia class ssn out of the seawolf interface files, plus the 688i weapons/loadout files, and appropriate edits to database and controllers.ini, but I think they'll be all over that one.

I doubt they'll be hitting "variants" of current platforms, like a "foreign perry", though...

Oh and... lastly... the thing they're against is distributing, more than making, such mods. Though I suppose clear instructions on how to do it might qualify.

Or at least, that's how I understood it. Either way, before anything is released, you should ask them directly.

Teaching DW newbies how to climb the food chain.
MaHuJa is offline   Reply With Quote