View Single Post
Old 10-26-17, 08:43 PM   #9
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCruise View Post
That's a thought. I'm looking at the .txt file now and I see the Mk45. Wasn't it called the "ASTOR" or something like that when it was a nuke torp? I think I remember some of that stuff about the 45. The only thing I see in the .txt that I'm not so sure about is this version of the Mk45 is not wire guided. If they gave it the same or similar guidance package as the Mk 37 shouldn't it be wire guided? Much less range than the Mk 37 also. 23000 compared to 15000 for the Mk 45. Everything else looks the same....warhead size, sensor ranges, etc. The speed is 30kts at launch, 40kts when active. That's not bad. I guess with a 30kt run to enable speed, it would help to be as close as you can before going active, and give that 40kt burst of speed a chance to run the target down with that limited range. I suppose I could give it a similar range as the Mk 37....close to 23000 yds. Or split the difference and try 19000. I dunno, lots of options to play with. Should be fun....

"CC"

**As a goof, I gave the Mk 37 a shot of nitrous oxide and ramped up the top speed to 80 kts. It swam out of the tube at 20 kts, then when it enabled.....I swear I could hear tires squealing as this thing took off like a bullet. In the UK there are some jealous Spearfish torps right now...**
Yep MK 45 was known as the ASTOR. It also had wire guidance as its only form of guidance when it was in service. The wire served a two-fold purpose, it allowed you to steer the torpedo towards the target using ownship sonar as reference and it allowed positive control of the nuclear warhead by only detonating when a command signal was sent down the wire.

After my initial scathing review of the MK 45 for the game, I took a step back and reevaluated its inclusion after talking with one of the devs. I had brought up the point of keeping the wire guidance since that would likely remain and was a part of the MK 37 Mod 1 anyways. The conclusion was one of gameplay difficulty. By keeping the wire guidance intact it may have removed some challenge from the 68 campaign. But since that is a modable part of the game, the player could simply add it themselves if they wished.

Something to consider for the max range is the max range at both speeds. By looking at the game behavior it doesn't go into detail in dividing pre-enable speed/range vs enabled speed/range. Case in point the MK 37 pre-enable is 17kts/23,500 yds. Enabled it is 26kts/10,000 yds. The longer you run at pre-enable speed the less range you're going to get out of your enabled run due to draining the battery.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote