View Single Post
Old 10-26-17, 08:03 PM   #7
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
That's cool I get that, I do a lot of tinkering myself. When 1.08 came out it had the MK 45 enabled. It was a new weapon for the game and made in response to the drawbacks of the MK 16 vs surface contacts. It also worked better against the November and Victor I due to it's higher speed over the MK 37.

In reality the MK 45 was a nuclear torpedo, but it was feasible to remove the nuclear warhead and replace it with the guidance package and warhead like that used in the MK 37. In fact after the development of the MK 48, the MK 45 was withdrawn from service and several were converted to the conventional warhead I just mentioned, to my knowledge they weren't used by anyone then.

But if you want, you can reactivate the MK 45 by removing the // marks and add it to your 1968 boats.
That's a thought. I'm looking at the .txt file now and I see the Mk45. Wasn't it called the "ASTOR" or something like that when it was a nuke torp? I think I remember some of that stuff about the 45. The only thing I see in the .txt that I'm not so sure about is this version of the Mk45 is not wire guided. If they gave it the same or similar guidance package as the Mk 37 shouldn't it be wire guided? Much less range than the Mk 37 also. 23000 compared to 15000 for the Mk 45. Everything else looks the same....warhead size, sensor ranges, etc. The speed is 30kts at launch, 40kts when active. That's not bad. I guess with a 30kt run to enable speed, it would help to be as close as you can before going active, and give that 40kt burst of speed a chance to run the target down with that limited range. I suppose I could give it a similar range as the Mk 37....close to 23000 yds. Or split the difference and try 19000. I dunno, lots of options to play with. Should be fun....

"CC"

**As a goof, I gave the Mk 37 a shot of nitrous oxide and ramped up the top speed to 80 kts. It swam out of the tube at 20 kts, then when it enabled.....I swear I could hear tires squealing as this thing took off like a bullet. In the UK there are some jealous Spearfish torps right now...**

Last edited by CaptainCruise; 10-26-17 at 08:26 PM.
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote